Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Loving Laundry Day

There's a Buddhist practice that says that rather than wasting time getting bored with everyday chores, we could approach each action with an even heart and find joy in each small action. Below is a close-up of my laundry bag:

"Before Enlightenment,
chop Wood, fetch Water.


After Enlightenment,
chop Wood, fetch Water..."


Taking my clinic wash to the laundromat is a weekly ritual where I also have the opportunity to practice my (at the moment very basic) Vietnamese conversational skills with the lovely owners of the laundry.

"Xin Chao" - Hello!
and the Vietnamese expression of thanks - Cam On - which requires a little squeeze of the bottom of the diaphragm, to make the right sound: “Cam errrhn!”
It feels like a small massage of the heart each time I say it:

“Cam errrhn” - Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment